We are looking for a high calibre, enthusiastic school leaver to join our Business Services Department working within our Audit & Accounts team.
We are an award-winning top 100 accountancy firm, achieving in 2019, Top 10 Accountancy Employer, finalists for Graduate and Non-Graduate Programme of the year, Mid-Tier Firm of the Year and Tolley’s Best Single Office Tax Practice in the UK. We have fantastic modern offices in North London and are forward thinking in our approach to both clients and staff and offer a supportive and progressive working environment.
Our clients range from private individuals to owner managed businesses, entrepreneurs, charities, and large limited companies across a broad range of industries. To ensure we meet our core values of quality of service, client care and commercial advice in plain and simple English, in this ever-changing technological world, we continue to develop our processes and procedures to meet our client’s needs. We are continually growing via word of mouth and our reputation.
It is an exciting time to join our team!
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is looking to pursue a career in audit and accounts within our award-winning team. The successful candidate will be given formal training as a trainee, initially working towards gaining their AAT (Association of Accounting Technicians) qualification and moving on to study the ICAEW ACA qualification becoming a Chartered Accountant. This position provides full study support.
You will work in a friendly and progressive team who believe in giving you responsibilities early on supporting them to deliver a high standard of work to their clients. You will learn how to prepare accounts, meeting deadlines and budgets, liaise with clients on accounting matters and learn how to prepare basic corporation tax computations.
As well as your formal technical training gained via your studies, you will also attend inhouse training to further expand your knowledge and be provided with opportunities to attend personal development training which will support your growth with us. Each trainee receives individual support through their training with a dedicated buddy and a partner mentor who will guide you through your career progression. This position offers hybrid working after your probationary period allowing you to work flexible working hours from any suitable location with an appropriate working environment.
- Time Management: Efficiently juggle work and study commitments to meet deadlines and deliver high-quality results.
- Adaptability: Quickly adapt to new information, technologies, and tasks in a dynamic work and study environment.
- Attention to Detail: Demonstrate meticulous attention to detail in both academic and professional tasks to ensure accuracy and precision.
- Communication Skills: Effectively communicate ideas and information, both in writing and verbally, fostering clear and concise collaboration with colleagues and clients.
- Initiative: Proactively take ownership of tasks, seek opportunities for self-improvement, and contribute to the overall success of the team and personal development.
Core duties and responsibilities
- Start to develop analytical skills such as learning to analyse client’s bank data or rental statements.
- Learn how to prepare statutory accounts from client’s accounting software and manual client records.
- Attend client’s sit to carry out stock taking and understand how these fits into the audit approach.
- Carry out audit assignments as part of a team in the office or at clients' sites.
- Develop skills to prepare and set up audit and non-audit working papers.
- Learn how to prepare corporation tax computations.
- Understand and learn how to use software such as Xero and how this interplays with Accounts Production software.
- Learn how to prepare management accounts.
- Learn how to use CCH accounts production software and CaseWare audit software.
- Apply technical knowledge gained from studies and on-the-job experience.
- Develop client communication skills, both by phone, email, and face to face.
- You would need to be IT literate.
- Good working knowledge of Excel and Word.
- Experience of bookkeeping or accounting software is beneficial.
- Minimum 120 UCAS points (300 UCAS points or more for those who passed exams prior to 2017) or equivalent.
- GCSE minimum of Grade 6 for Maths and English Language and minimum of Grade 4 for all other subjects (B or above in Maths and English Language and C or above for all other subjects for those who passed exams prior to 2017) or equivalent.
- Have the right to work in the UK.