We are live for applications from:
- 4 October 2023 – 31 December 2023
- 1 February 2023 – 28 June 2024
Right now, we’re looking for university graduates wanting to start their career in audit as a trainee chartered accountant, studying towards the ACA qualification.
This will be offered under a Level 7 apprenticeship and will take three years to complete.
Exemptions will only apply if you’re AAT Level 4 qualified. We've found it gives you a much better chance of success with your exams if you’re studying the full ACA programme with a cohort.
About your role
Qualifying is not just about passing your exams; gaining valuable work experience is so important.
You'll work in a friendly and progressive environment on audit and accounts preparation assignments, with exposure to clients from different industries. We guarantee an exciting and varied learning experience.
We'll show you each part of a file review. You'll learn what information you need from a client and liaise directly with them. You may start with audit testing of simpler balances within financial statements, such as cash at bank and share capital, and then progress to income and expenditure testing.
By the end of your training contract, you’ll be comfortable handling whole files by yourself, preparing you for progression into a senior audit role.
You'll also receive excellent training and support for your studies. We use first-class tuition centres and organise our own off-site trainee programmes. You’ll get to meet and socialise with trainees across all offices, so it isn't all just work, and you can have fun too.
What you'll need
- 2:1 (expected or obtained) in any discipline,
- A minimum of 120 UCAS points in your A Levels (or equivalent), and
- A minimum of 6 (or B) in GCSE Maths and English Language (or equivalent).
About the qualification
We offer a three-year ACA training contract under a Level 7 apprenticeship.
Studying as an apprentice won’t impact the time it takes you to complete the qualification, it just means that there's a defined study pathway in place to ensure you have the best chance to succeed. You'll gain technical knowledge and key skills/behaviours to maximise your potential in the role.
Where potential meets personal meets you
You'll share our values by being collegiate and enthusiastic, whilst acting with integrity and striving for excellence.
You'll be friendly and approachable with a mindset to be committed, take accountability, and go the extra mile to deliver our signature service. To put your hand up when you see something’s not working, and help to make it better. And yes, we expect drive and focus, effort and enthusiasm.
When you work with Saffery, you’re never a number. You’re you. Because we want everyone’s individual personality and style to shine through. And we care more, and ego less. We get on and we get on. You'll thrive in your close-knit team, delivering high quality in everything you do.
There’s genuine mutual respect here. A rewarding, reciprocal relationship that means we all get the best out of each other.
We’ll help you to learn about our clients, but even better is if you already have an interest in the wider economic context that they operate in. Be inquisitive and always ask questions.
You’ll understand the level of commitment required during your ACA exams. It’s not easy, but we’ll be there to support you along your journey with us. You'll play a major part in our ongoing success.
Surrounded by people who value you, everything you bring, and everything you’re ready to achieve. Ready to take the first step in your Saffery story?
What we’ll offer you
Because you do the best job you can for our clients and your colleagues, we do everything we can for you. We provide a mixture of core and flexible benefits, all designed to save you money and make your life a little easier.
- Annual leave allowance, which increases in line with length of service,
- A 35-hour working week with flexibility around our core hours of 10am-4pm,
- A contributory pension plan (we’ll contribute 5% of salary on a matched basis with you from the date you join),
- Life assurance cover based on 4 x annual salary,
- Working from home allowance of £25 a month,
- Our Profit-Sharing Plan, enabling you to share in the firm’s profits (usually c.£1,000), and
- Paid overtime or time off in lieu.
- Our agile working policy gives you the option to work from home for up to three days per week,
- Access to health assessments and GP support, cancer screenings, and our BUPA health cash plan,
- Critical illness cover, dental, and travel insurance,
- We’ve got a Techscheme, Cyclescheme and a Gymflex scheme,
- A Workplace ISA,
- Paid travel expenses when working at offices other than your contracted office, and
- Generous referral bonuses if you help bring in new clients or colleagues.
We’re also committed to being a fully inclusive employer and have a huge focus on equality, diversity and inclusion (ED&I). When you start with us, you’ll have the opportunity to join a number of people network groups, as well as be a part of our growing ED&I network.