BDO Guernsey provides tax, audit and assurance, advisory and business outsourcing services to companies across all sectors of the economy. We’re a locally owned business and a member of the BDO global network of public accounting, tax and advisory firms, with a considerable depth and range of resources around the world. Indeed, it’s through this global network that we have gained wide experience of meeting the needs of clients who are growing and trading be it locally or internationally.
Our core purpose is ‘helping people and businesses to succeed’. We do this through the in-depth local, quality expertise of our people and through our working practices which combine the global standards that BDO is known for. At BDO you can be yourself - we value you as an individual and want you to realise your aspirations. We give you the challenge and support your needs and you are able to shape your own career according to your strengths, skills and personality.
WE’RE IN IT TOGETHER
Mutual support and respect is one of BDO’s core values and we’re proud of our distinctive, people-centered culture. We’ll support you at every stage in your career, whatever your personal and professional needs.
We can provide the best support for our clients and people when we’re working side by side. Our flexible working framework helps us stay connected and achieve a work life balance, by bringing teams together where and when it counts so they can share ideas and help one another. At BDO, we strive to ensure you’ll always have access to the people and resources you need to do your best work.
We know that collaboration is the key to creating value for our clients and satisfying experiences at work. BDO’s people represent a wealth of knowledge and expertise, and we’ll encourage you to build your network, work alongside others, and share your skills and experiences. With a range of multidisciplinary opportunities and dedicated resources, we expect you’ll never stop learning at BDO.
WE’RE LOOKING FORWARD TO THE FUTURE
We’ve got a clear purpose, and we’re confident in our future, because we’re adapting and evolving to build on our strengths, ensuring we continue to find the right combination of reach, integrity and expertise, using a growth mind set for the development of businesses and our people. We want to empower people to shape the future together with openness.
JOB TITLE: Audit Trainee
As Audit Trainee will form part of the Audit team both on-site and in the office, assisting the team by obtaining audit evidence, preparing analysis of accounting data and being actively involved with client relationships. As well as be included in the whole audit process from planning, through execution to finalisation.
An Audit Trainee will be expected to study for and complete an accounting qualification, and will be fully supported, developed and supervised by senior members of the Audit team, whilst gaining first-hand relevant experience.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Assist within the wider team by obtaining and documenting audit evidence necessary to support opinions given, working under the supervision and guidance of Seniors, Supervisors and Assistant Managers
- Initial examination and audit of service charge accounts, dependent on scope of work
- Ensure compliance with internal (audit methodology and risk management) and external (regulatory and legal) requirements
- Liaise with clients as needed, dealing with issues that may arise, escalating to relevant individual, as required • Prepare analysis of accounting data from client’s books and records
- Active engagement with client staff in the gathering of appropriate audit evidence
- Active adherence to budget and timetable, bringing matters to the attention of the Senior or Manager, particularly when actual time is in excess of budget
- Prepare for and have passive involvement in the engagement team discussion (ETD)
- Complete testing and working papers assigned by more senior staff in order to allow detailed review to take place
- Ensure timely answering and clearance of points raised
- Active involvement in feedback in debrief
- Build rapport with clients
- Actively develop a network of professional contacts and attend relevant networking events
- Participation in group, stream and firm wide activities
- Successfully study towards your professional qualification, where relevant
- Timely completion of all mandatory training
- Proactive in managing personal learning and development
Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours
- Hold an undergraduate degree of at least a 2:2 and/or gained 3 A-levels grades A*-C (or equivalent from IB pathways) and/or have obtained a BTEC level 3 with at least a Merit, Merit, Pass
- Received GCSE grades 9-4 (A*-C) in English Language and Mathematics, or equivalent
- Good level of communication skills
- A desire to understand our business strategy and goals
- Good time management and organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise
- Be a motivated team player with the able to work autonomously and at a high level of quality
- Have an interest in personal and professional development over and above formal qualifications