Are you a bright student looking for a career in R&D Tax Incentives? Would you like to get a head start with some relevant 'on the job' experience while you study for your recognised qualification? Are you looking for that perfect blend of Technology and Finance? Then starting your career with our Tax programme might be for you!
You're graduating, leaving school or looking for something new, what next? How about:
- Competitive salary and benefit package.
- Work-life as well as work-study balance.
- Agile working policy with working from home opportunities and flexible hours,
- Working on recognising leading-edge scientific and technological developments in industry and learning how to safely qualify these for various R&D Tax Relief Schemes.
- Full study support to gain a globally recognised qualification with the Chartered Institute of Taxation.
- Linked learning approach with Kaplan or First Intuition, who are award winning training providers.
- On the job training and practical experience.
- Face to face contact with decision makers early on.
- A career within a national organisation, with access to a in a global network of 30,000 people across 147 countries.
- Working with a wide range of entrepreneurs, owner managed businesses and subsidiaries of large international groups.
- Secondments opportunities further down your career and more!
Who are we?
We're a dedicated team of like-minded accountancy professionals. Our clients range from top fashion retailers, leisure & hospitality businesses to renewable energy enterprises and we get involved in issues that affect gaming developers and motorsports engineers.
We are ranked among the UK's top 12 accountancy firms, combining high levels of technical expertise with the kind of personal service often only found in smaller firms.
In 2020, we won the Best Advisory Services category of the new Business Resilience Awards, organised by Accountancy Age. Previously, we won National Firm of the Year, Tax Team of the Year and Graduate and Non-Graduate programme of the Year at the British Accountancy Awards, we internationally re-branded, and we grew substantially with a few high-profile mergers. It's an exciting time to join the firm!
As part of a multi award winning medium sized firm, you will have the opportunity to work with our wide and eclectic client base across the accounting and financial spectrum. That means really getting to grips with the inner workings of a company and finding ways to help them - whether that's working on taxing technicalities or devising strategies to help them fulfil their commercial potential.
As a Tax Trainee within the R&D Team, you will be:
- Participating in the Team’s internal technical training programme with the objective of having a strong understanding of R&D Tax legislation and its interpretation on completion.
- Conducting preliminary research in preparation for client workshops and attending these sessions to support technical interviews and financial data gathering.
- Assessing and interpreting technical information gathered during workshops to draft the technical reports to support the R&D activity.
- Gaining sector knowledge by proactively working with a wide variety of clients – this will allow you to gain an understanding of a wide variety of innovative technologies across the fields of science and technology.
- Understanding the R&D criteria and applying these concepts across a wide range of sectors.
Progression In Your First Year Will Look Like:
- Completing the technical training to have the ability to draft informative and accurate technical reports with the support of your team.
- Becoming comfortable preparing client-related research documents and identifying R&D and the technology used in R&D ahead of workshops and discussions.
- Participating in the development of team and firms processes and taking on financial aspects of the role to progress your overall knowledge of the claim process.
Skills & Qualities You Will Have to Succeed:
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and logical, problem-solving midset
- Strong numerical ability and great attention to detail
- A genuine interest and curiosity in Software, Science, Technology & Innovation.
- The ability to actively listen to others and ensure that they are understood.
We'll make sure you have the right experience, personal development and training to make your career stimulating and rewarding. We'll carefully balance your practical experience to reinforce your professional training. Combined, these two crucial elements will help you achieve your qualification.
Along with your peers, you will be assigned mentors who will support and guide you as well as dedicated tutors who will ensure your progress and development is on track.
Our Tax Trainees come from a variety of different academic and cultural backgrounds.
Please note that our tax training programme is available to both school leavers and graduates, but a degree is not essential.
We do not require Tax Trainees to have a business or financial background, but a genuine interest and/or degree in Engineering, Mechanical, Electrical, Aerospace, Bio-medical or Computer Science is preferred. However, we do ask that applicants for our Tax trainee programme have achieved or are predicted to achieve at least 112 UCAS points (based on the new 2017 UCAS Tariff) from 3 A-Levels, or equivalent, all achieved during the same exam year. At least 2 of these A-levels must either be within or a combination of Sciences or Advanced Mathematics, or Computer Technology. This excludes General Studies. We also ask that graduate applicants have either achieved or are working to achieve at least a 2:1 at university.
Thank you for choosing to apply for one of our 2023 Trainee positions at MacIntyre Hudson. We are looking forward to hearing more about you!
Our advice is for you to work your way through the application process with care and attention, as the questions you answer as part of your application will allow for our assessors to determine whether they should progress you through to the next stages, which will include online testing and an assessment centre - dependent on the role you are applying for. This is your time to shine!
Give us as much detail as possible, spell check your answers and don't forget to re-read the application before you submit it at the end!
We are looking forward to reading more about your academic background, motivations of starting a career within accountancy and why you have applied to MacIntyre Hudson!
Upon application you will be asked to complete some diversity questions. MHA Macintyre Hudson is a committed member of Access Accountancy and as such, we track our diversity stats and actively work to improve on these year on year, looking at new ways to promote our roles to the widest audience. Any data collected is fully anonymised before sharing with any external parties, as per our Data Protection Policy.