Role: Trainee (Graduate) - Level 7 Apprentice
Department: Business Tax
At Evelyn Partners we recruit high calibre people with the skills, knowledge and commitment to meet the demands of the business. Our trainee schemes are structured training programmes combining practical experience with technical studies, as well as providing numerous opportunities to increase your skill set with internal courses ranging from personal impact and negotiation skills to time management and delivering presentations.
What will I be doing?
Our business tax team provides tax and consulting services to a wide range of companies, from large multinational groups to owner-managed businesses. Our tax advice is designed to meet our client’s agreed commercial objectives considering all relevant taxes, including corporation tax, VAT and employment taxes. We provide practical advice, regularly negotiating with HM Revenue & Customs, with members of our team sitting on a number of leading professional and industry committees.
Working closely with our senior tax professionals, you’ll feel yourself improving day by day as they teach you the intricacies of their trade. One moment you could be helping a small business ensure they are tax compliant; the next, you could be learning the complex, but fascinating cross-border considerations of international tax.
We believe that hands-on experience is key to creating well-rounded trusted business advisers this means you'll be doing real work from the outset.
Responsibilities of the Trainee role are as follows:
- Preparation of corporation tax computations and returns including drafting client communication
- Assist with research assignments and drafting technical documentation
- Assisting other group members in professional work and providing support where required
- Supporting more qualified staff on more complex client situations
- Acquire and build relationship with your own clients and begin to supervise new trainees after approximately one year
- Support with the preparation and attendance at client meetings
- Be committed and motivated to studying towards the Associate Chartered Accountant ACA qualification within the Level 7 apprenticeship
- Be able to deliver first class client service and work effectively as part of a team
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing
What training and development will I receive in my first few years?
During your training contract you will study towards the Associate Chartered Accountant (ACA) qualification. Additionally, you will achieve the Level 7 Apprenticeship qualification, developing essential skills sought out in the professional services sector.
In addition, you will receive on the job training and support, in order for you to develop tax technical and interpersonal skills; trainees are encouraged to work with all members of the team, to share their experiences and to learn from others.
In the first year, you can expect to learn the basic corporation tax principles and to be supporting with tax compliance requirements of our clients, as well as advisory aspects where possible. Trainees are also encouraged to support managers with the on-going running of the client account for several core clients, thus enabling them to develop a greater understanding of their clients’ businesses and to develop core client management skills from an early stage in their career.
- Must have or be on course for at least a 2:2 honours degree in any discipline
- 112 UCAS points (or equivalent) in your top three A-levels (excluding General Studies)
- GCSE English Language and Maths (or equivalent) at a minimum of grade 5
Here’s what our trainees have to say about our tax trainee programme…
“In my intake I was one of three which meant that I gained responsibility quickly and this has allowed me to learn and develop at a faster rate than I feel I would have done in a larger firm.”
“It is repeated time and time again, but the very best thing about Evelyn Partners really is the people. The business tax team is a close-knit group of likeminded individuals who work closely together for their clients whilst also being good friends.”
“For me, the business tax training contract seemed great as it allows you to gain a professional qualification whilst also gaining specialist corporation tax knowledge in a dynamic department.”
Please click on the following links to be taken to our trainee website for further details on our application process and to see our recruiter hints and tips